Friday, July 16, 2010

Video of "Crystallize Me" ~ A song written in honor of Crystal Bowersox

"Crystallize Me" was written for American Idol runner-up Crystal Bowersox by musician David Kav of Chicago in 2007 or 2008. David says he "had totally forgotten about it (believe it or not) until American Idol Season 9 was under way."

David used to play Open Mics with Crystal at Uncommon Ground, Silvie's, etc and opened for her a couple of times at Stadium West in Chicago and the Elks Lodge in Berwyn, IL. David crashed the stage once for harmonies during a set or two. He never exclusively played or wrote a song with Crystal. "A regret of mine," David acknowledges.

Here's the story of how "Crystallize Me," a tribute to fellow musician Crystal Bowersox came to be, in David's own words - "Crystal was speaking on stage before performing one of her original songs. She stated (to paraphrase:) "I've written songs for so many people. But, no one's ever written a song for me."

"Really?" I say to myself. "I'm up for the challenge!"

Kat Fitzgerald puts it out to Jeff Brown, Brian Walker and me to write a song for her. Well, I had to act quickly (my gut told me.)

I sat down with guitar, computer, recorder, & put together "Crystallize Me" in one week (two weeks tops.) I premiered it at an Uncommon Ground gig. Upon seeing Crystal, I said, "I'm doing a show at UG on July ... I'd really love it if you'd attend. I've got a surprise for you."

"Great," she says. "I'll definitely try my best to make it."

The night of the show, Crystal's in the audience. My nerves are wracked. I get a recording (very faint and very bad) of the show and the aforementioned song. At the very end, you hear Crystal cheer loudly and scream "I love it!!""

So, here for your listening pleasure is David Kav performing "Crystallize Me" at Let Them Eat Chocolate on Sunday, May 23, 2010. Kat Fitzgerald joins him on cajon (percussion).



~Peace, love, music, laughter, life, and charity,
D Kav

No comments:

Post a Comment