Friday, May 28, 2010

American Idol's Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze Sign Record Deals

Note to fans: Please see article "Stop the presses!...." In an exclusive interview with the Toledo Free Press, Crystal says she has NOT signed with anyone, yet. Billboard.com printed an unsubstantiated rumor in the article below.

It hasn't even been 24 hours since Lee DeWyze was crowned this year's "American Idol," but already he and his runner-up, Crystal Bowersox, have signed their record deals.

DeWyze is signed to 19 Recordings Limited and RCA Records, while Bowersox is signed to 19 Recordings Limited and Jive Records, a source confirms exclusively to Billboard.com.

DeWyze joins Daughtry and Adam Lambert at RCA, while Bowersox can now count past "Idol" winners Jordin Sparks and Kris Allen, and 2009 finalist Allison Iraheta, as her labelmates.

If 19 and Sony Music stick to the release schedule of past years, fans can expect DeWyze and Bowersox's debut albums to be released in the fourth quarter, as "Idol" albums are typically targeted for release around the holiday season. Last year, Allen's self-titled debut and Lambert's "For Your Entertainment" were released on Nov. 17 and Nov. 23, respectively.

In the meantime, the pair's debut singles were released to iTunes and radio today. DeWyze's single, a cover of U2's "Beautiful Day," and Bowersox's version of Patty Griffin's "Up to the Mountain". It's too early to tell how many downloads "Beautiful Day" and "Up to the Mountain" may sell in their first week. However, industry sources contacted suggest looking to how the past few seasons'-worth of first and second-place finishers have fared with their debut singles in the week after the finale in order to forecast how DeWyze and Bowersox might do this week.

5 comments:

  1. Hey all you Mamasox fans! I feel like a traitor, because I live in Mt. Prospect, Illinois - Lee's hometown, but I had to vote for Crystal. Voted and voted and voted.

    Okay, I'm a 48 year old nerd who until this year just watched AI passively, but this year Crystal got me actually rooting for someone loudly.

    Crystal's reaction to the finale sounds much like what I've said, she is already a big winner.

    I'll buy any music she releases on i-Tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll certainly be buying Mamasox' record...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Same here! I've been extremely passive about AI until Mamasox blew my mind. She is everything an artist should be. I love her personality her style everything! Lee is a good artist but, Crystal is breathtaking. I actually find myself holding my breath when she gets into songs. I love you Crystal and I cannot wait to buy your albums!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. never bought an AI contestants album but i'm pretty sure i'll kick down for some Powersox vocals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOHOO!! So glad to hear you've already signed a deal!!! Love ya Crystal!!!

    ReplyDelete